SO, I am a huge Whovian. It is to the point where I have a Doctor who quiz on my mobile, a TARDIS mug, T-shirts and all of the seasons downloaded on my computer. Even my iPhone is a TARDIS with a faceplate and background. I advertise my fandom and I do so proudly. I am working on getting the older series as well, just so I have them under my belt as well. But, for now, I have to talk about one thing as Episode 7 of Series 3 plays in the background: Companions.
Like many people who love Doctor Who, I connect, not only with the Doctor, but with the companions as well. Rose was my very first companion,as I started with NuWho, but there have been some horrid ones that I have seen. I won’t list them all, but there is one I have a problem with…
In my opinion, Martha Jones is the worst companion of the new series. There are a multitude of reasons, but there’s a couple that really stand out.
1) She lets her love for the doctor get in the way of her sanity. I do not know how many times she speaks about the Doctor, complaining that he doesn’t see her in the way she wants him to. I remember watching it for the first time and screaming at the TV, “GET OVER IT ALREADY!!” It is the single most annoying thing about her. She can not just be there for him, to help, to be his COMPANION. She MUST be looked at as something else, something more.
2) She does nothing until she is told by the Doctor to walk the Earth. What is she really there for? The only thing I can think of is he show needed a new companion. The writers wrote her in to create a new story line; a story line that only lasted for one series. Thank God.
3) For a med student, she really does have a hard time figuring out simple things. "It’s psychic paper. Why would he give me this? What do I do with it?" Are you kidding me? It’s paper that is psychic. What the hell do you think it needs to be used for?! The dumb ass questions, the inability to do anything without getting herself into trouble (yes, yes I know that all of the companions were like this but THIS ONE is supposed to be SMARTER than the rest).
Ok I’ll stop ranting about Martha now. I could go on, but I will move on to the best Companion, in my opinion, and that companion is Rose Tyler.
There are a number of reasons why I feel this way, but I will give only three.
1) She learns quickly. How many episodes did it take for her to learn basic TARDIS flying skills? 3? 4, maybe? She may have just been a girl who worked in a shop, but she was so quick, so smart and she just picked up things like it was second nature. It was as if she was born to be the Doctor’s companion.
2) She did everything she could, even if it meant almost dying or losing her family. She went above and beyond to save the doctor in the very first episode she was in, she chose to stay with the doctor rather than go to the parallel universe in “Doomsday,” even though that backfired, and do I even have to mention her perseverance in “The Parting of the Ways.” She is truly the Bad Wolf.
3) She “died,” and came back. She left only to come back as a hardcore bad ass. She helped Donna Noble, she helped save the Doctor after being hit by the beam of a Dalek AND, she once again saved the world along with all the other companions. She was the one most loved by the Doctor, and it wasn’t because she had a pretty face.
These are just my opinions. I know many will disagree but that’s the fun of the internet!